Adversity

Adversity has taught me a lot over the years.  It's been ruthless, unfair, and honestly so many other things that I could go on for days.  But what I didn't anticipate was finding the beauty in the midst of it all.  Adversity led me to my faith and relationship with God.  It led me to the most loyal and truthful friendships I have ever had.  Adversity has shown me my strength and just how resilient my heart is.  

As I continue to journey along the path of life, I feel as though I am met with adversity around every corner; and to be honest, that adversity always has to do with my past.  My past has this idea that it is okay to follow me wherever I go; trying to knock me down and destroy who I am and take any good thing from my future. 

So I found myself always running from it.  I ran in hopes of it never catching up to me.  But you want to know the truth?  The truth is, I stopped running a long time ago.  I stopped because I no longer feared what could happen in an uncertain future but instead embraced a certain future with the one who is always constant; never failing or forsaking.  Always leading and loving and always turning what was meant for harm into something beautiful.  "Every valley has a purpose. Every mountain has a purpose.  Every struggle and pain has a purpose.  And every hater has a purpose.  And God is going to use everything in my life to get me to where I'm supposed to be". (Pastor Keion Henderson)


My hope rests in Him.  Not my children, not my spouse, not my parents or anyone else; my hope rests in God.  The things that define me are not the people I surround myself with or the possessions I own.   The things that define me are who God says I am; not what my past continues to scream to the world and anyone who will listen.  So as I am met with adversity around this corner, I welcome it, because I know the truth and the truth will always set you free.  

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, God, for Making Me a Mom

A Letter to my Boys