God Goggles

Do you have any lies that you believe about yourself?  I know I do.  My lies come from my past.  From a past that sneaks up on me when I least expect it.  Just when I think I've conquered one battle, God will show me another area that needs to be set free with His help.  Lately, God has shown me that I still believe certain lies to be true.  He is showing me that I allow these lies, these scars, to define who I am today.  The lies that I have believed for so long are: I am weak.  I do not have an opinion in my marriage.  I will never survive on my own.  If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have anything.  I do not have a say in finances because I am a woman.  Because I am a woman, I am not my spouses equal.  Those are just a few that I still struggle with today.  They come out in the way I act or do things.  It's also internal; in the way I think or view myself.  I struggle because of my scars.  I struggle because of my past.  I struggle because for so long I was led to believe these things were true. 

The reality is, I know that all of these are lies. But the lies are embedded so deep into my way of life; my way of thinking, that I can only see them as truth.  It's like I am viewing myself and my life with glasses from my past.  Does that make sense?  You wouldn't still wear a pair of glasses if your prescription has changed.  You would get a new pair because your vision (life) has changed.  Instead of getting a new pair, I have held on to the old ones.  I shouldn't be viewing myself or my life through my old glasses anymore (past/scars).  That part of my life is over.  I should instead be viewing my life with a new pair of shades; my God goggles.                    

Every time, I start to think about or believe one of those lies to be true in a situation, I need to remember how God views me instead of how man does/did.  I need to take off my old pair of glasses and put on my God goggles.  That way, I am able to see myself and what God has ordained and blessed me with clearly.  I'll be able to see life and myself without any blurriness or imperfections (lies).  I'll be able to see myself the way God views me.    

You see, for every lie that I have been led to believe about myself, there is a truth.  There is truth in the word of God.  The truth will set you free.  The truth will break the chains that are hindering you.  Are you seeing/living your life with shades from your past?  Did your prescription (life) change and you never got a new pair of glasses?  Are you allowing your scars and your pain to define you?  Remember who you are in God's Kingdom; you are a child of the Most High.  How about taking off the old pair of shades and putting on a new pair.  Don't you want to be able to see things clearly?  How about putting on your God goggles. 

I am weak.  Truth: Where I am weak, He gives me strength.  In my weaknesses, in my hardships, in my difficulties; my persecutions.  I am strong because of Him. (2 Corinthians 12:10) 

If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have anything.  Truth:  The Lord will provide for me and take care of all of my needs. (Matthew 6:25-34)  My Heavenly Father sees me and my needs and provided a way for me to survive on my own with two small children.  God had me in the palm of His hands during one of the most trying times of my life.  Everything I have is from God; because He has blessed me with it.  None of it is from man.       

You will never survive on your own. Truth: "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)  In my time of singleness, I was never on my own.  My God never left me!

I do not have an opinion or say in my marriage because I am a woman.  Truth:  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. (Proverbs 31:11-12) She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  (Proverbs 31:26) Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.  (Proverbs 31:28)  I have been blessed with such an amazing husband.  One who includes me in every and any decision; no matter how big or small.  I have an opinion and say in our marriage.

I do not have a say in the finances.  Truth:  She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.  She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.  She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. (Proverbs 31:16-18)  

Because I am a woman, I am not my spouses (man) equal.  Truth:  There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians:28) So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)  Yes, I am a woman, but that doesn't automatically make me inferior to man.  We were created as equals; having different roles in the home and church.  The fact that I am a woman does not take away from the fact that God made me, along with man, in his own image; we are all the same.    


Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, God, for Making Me a Mom

A Letter to my Boys