The Maelstrom

The last couple of days, I’ve found myself asking God for a normal life again.  I find myself asking God to take me out of the situations I keep getting put into.  I keep asking for a different life all together.   I know I’m only asking these things because I’m so weary; I’m tired and beat down from the storms that blow into my life out of nowhere and without warning.  I just want a season without struggle; one where I can rest and recharge in His presence without the enemy coming to disturb me.  Now I know that is unrealistic thinking and that when I took up my cross to follow Jesus I knew what that meant.  But the constant turbulence has me about ready to give up.  

But then, I’m shown Isaiah 43: 2 this morning in my devotion.  

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." 

And just like that, God reminds me that He is here in the middle of the fire with me.  Promising the flames will not set me ablaze.  And when, not if, but when I walk through the waters and through the rivers, He will be there too.  Knowing this doesn’t make it any easier or hurt any less, but what it does give me is a little more to hold onto.  It gives me a little more strength to continue this fight.  


I don’t know what your life looks like, or what fires or raging waters you are walking through.  But I do know, that God is a faithful God.  And when He says He will not allow the water to sweep over you, or the flames set you ablaze, you can depend on Him through these turbulent times.  The last couple of days I have been asking for a new set of circumstances, and that isn’t what I should be doing.  Instead, I need to ask God to give me what I need to get through these things and continue to trust through the pain His perfect plan for my life.  To keep my eyes on Him (Psalm 16:8) instead of the circumstances surrounding me.  Even when I find myself in the midst of a maelstrom, just knowing I can whisper His name and He will be there is enough to give me a little more to get through these times.  

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, God, for Making Me a Mom

A Letter to my Boys