Unfamiliar Road

When I divorced six years ago, I didn't know what the road ahead would look like.  I didn't know what the twists and turns would be or the mistakes I would make along the way.  I didn't know how long it would take to mend my broken heart or to overcome all that I endured.  There were so many uncertainties and unknowns because I had never walked that road before.  Walking into divorce, the path was lonely and dark.  All because the roads were all so unfamiliar.

Looking back,  I can see the mistakes I made along the way.  I can see where I fell short or where I could have handled something a little different.  I can see where I should have stood up for myself or where I should have let something roll off my shoulders.  Looking back, I can see the lessons learned and the wisdom gained from each and every situation that arose.  I can not change what happened along the way, but what I can change is how things are handled in the future.

The growth and the wisdom that we take away from our mistakes and failures- or even our victories, are essential for the future.  It'll have us do one of two things.  It'll either catapult us to want to be better Christ Followers and strive to always do what's right no matter how hard that may be.  Or, those trials will just want to make us get even-causing as much pain and destruction along the way; hurting anyone in the path.  It has the potential to motivate us to become better people.  It has the ability to allow us to love those who are hurting in a way we couldn't before.  Our trials open our eyes to things once unseen.  It has the ability to shake us to the core and change us in a way where we don't want to fall short ever again.  Those lessons learned and wisdom gained could one day help someone who may be just starting their own journey down a hard road.

No-one is exempt from making mistakes or failing.  No-one is exempt from saying something we shouldn't have.  From hurting someone because they once hurt us.  Everyone falls short somewhere along the line.  But my questions is, what are you doing with your mistakes and failures today?  Are you using them to always strive to do what's right no matter how hard that may be? Or, are you using them to get even?

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, God, for Making Me a Mom

A Letter to my Boys