Innocence of a Child

When Cody came home from camp he was so excited to tell us all about it.  I could feel in his spirit that he was different.  He began telling stories of what some of the kids shared.  He said in those moments, listening to their problems, he realized that his life really wasn't as bad as he once thought.  He realized that there were kids with bigger problems than his own.  He said, "I cried, mom."  Little does he know in that moment, I had to hold back my own tears.  

Sometimes, it takes the innocence of a child to remind you of that very simple thing.  When we are in the middle of a storm, that is the last thing we think about.  But Cody is right.  We are so consumed with our problems and ourselves that we forget we may not be as bad off as most.  There are others out there fighting a tougher battle than us.  I instantly planted that realization  inside my heart for safe keeping.

We all will have seasons in the valley.  And even though our storms all rage at different speeds, the love God feels for us does not waiver.  He loves us all the same. We are all His children.  No matter what type of problems we have. Or no matter how big or small it seems.  God's love for us is equal.  So, the next time a storm rages in your life, ask yourself if there is someone you know who is dealing with something greater.  We are to praise God even in the storms of life.  How about praying for someone you know is hurting while in the midst of your trial. What if you offer an encouraging word to them? Instead of focusing on your storm, try focusing on helping someone get through theirs.  You would be amazed at the peace it brings by loving someone through their pain in the midst of your own.  

In the moment Cody realized his life wasn't at all as bad as he thought, he provided comfort to his new friends in their time of need.  He helped them. He spoke kindly to them. But most of all, he was there for them-loving them through.  Thank you, Cody for reminding me of such a simple thing. I'm so proud of the young man you are becoming.  I pray that you continue to be the hands and feet of Jesus.  I pray that you continue to love people no matter what troubles you are facing.  But mostly, I pray that your light will continue to shine.  Shine brighter and brighter for all to see.  I love you. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, God, for Making Me a Mom

A Letter to my Boys